Aside from feeling great, there are many benefits to massage therapy that can improve your overall health and well-being. During the summer months, we find that people generally feel better and in turn, forgo their regular appointments. But what people tend to forget is that maintaining your health is a year-round effort. To prove it, here are five reasons why you should get a massage this summer:
- Reduced Swelling – We are all too familiar with disappearing ankles and sausage fingers during the hot summer months. This swelling occurs when excess fluid and metabolic waste build up in the body. In the heat, blood vessels expand allowing fluid to rush to the surrounding tissue. The gentle pressure and deep strokes from massage encourages oxygen and nutrients back in our cells to restore the tissue to its natural state.
- Instant Energy Boost – Flushing out the lymphatic system not only reduces swelling, it detoxifies the body and flushes out that run-down, sluggish feeling. Scheduling a massage ahead of a busy summer weekend can keep you feeling energized to power through your favorite activities.
- Relief from Sunburns – Topical oils or creams can provide temporary yet immediate relief when skin is feeling warm and tender. Aloe vera has been used as a natural burn remedy for thousands of years and provides a cooling sensation when used during a massage. Other mild oils such as jojoba oil can also provide relief.
- Reduced Blood Pressure – When muscles become stagnant from lack of exercise or movement, naturally occurring toxins have no where to go. They begin to build up and your tissues start to become inflamed. If blood can’t reach the tissue, your already hard-working heart is forced to pump harder in an effort to get those vital nutrients and oxygen where needed. In combination with heightened cortisol levels from stress, blood pressure can become dangerously high. Massage therapy releases contracted muscles which helps increase circulation, allowing blood to flow more freely throughout the circulatory system. Monitoring your blood pressure is important during the summer months but something to be aware of all year round as well.
- Helps Reduce Cellulite & Wrinkles – While massage won’t completely turn back the hands of time, it can help diminish the appearance of cellulite and wrinkles. Massage encourages cell growth and can boost collagen production and can also prevent further deterioration of the tissue.
So before you skip your summer massage massage, consider these five benefits so you can have your best summer yet. Click here or call 330-721-9357 to schedule an appointment.