Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a highly contagious respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. Symptoms include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. (CDC)Current statistics show the virus is 20 times more contagious the flu and six as deadly. With no current vaccine or medication, it’s an unnerving time in our country.
As the disease becomes more prevalent, so do fears and anxiety. Practicing mindful techniques to ease those fears can help us all cope with stress of the unknown. Here are a few tips to consider:
- Trust the Experts: Have confidence that our public health officials are doing everything they can and have our best interests in mind.
- STAY HOME! Please follow the state and national orders of social distancing or self-quarantining. If you have any symptoms at all, avoid all contact with people. Have a healthy person run errands for you if needed. And if you are healthy, help those in need!
- Practice Self Care: The best thing we can do is take care of our bodies and support natural ways to fight the disease. Current closures and work-from-home orders offer a great opportunity to slow down, get more sleep, and spend more quality time with loved ones. And hey, just because our office is closed doesn’t mean you have to miss your massage! Practice massage on a loved one. It’s a great way to bond and stay connected.
- Avoid the Media: This is a tricky one. We all want to stay informed; however, watching the news can cause more anxiety for some. Especially during this time, there seems to be hundreds of new and conflicting headlines every day. It’s ok to unplug for a while.
- Educate Yourself: Maybe a little contradicting to the above tip but it is still important to understand the severity of the virus and know what we as citizens and residents of our communities need to do to help stop the spread. The Ohio Department of Health offers great resources, including a comprehensive checklist for various situations to help you feel more prepared during this time.
Stay positive but also stay smart! Help others when you can and be kind to one another. We’re all in this together.
*Nature’s Touch Massage & Wellness Center is currently closed due to orders from Gov. Mike DeWine and the Ohio Department of Health. Please follow us on Facebook and Instagram for updates and tips on staying healthy and happy.